Welcome to Year 1
Welcome to Year 1. Year 1 is taught by Miss Pettett. The class is supported by Mrs K and Mrs Shea.
Sample Phonic assessments can be found under the Parents page, follow the assessment link.
The five key skills taught through our synthetic phonics programme includes the following:
- Learning the letter sounds – children are taught the 42 main letter sounds. This includes the alphabet sounds as well as digraphs such as sh, th, ai and ue.
- Learning letter formation – using different multi-sensory methods, children learn how to form and write the letters.
- Blending – Children are taught how to blend the sounds together to read and write new words.
- Segmenting – this involves children identifying sounds in words so that they have the best possible start for improving their spelling.
- Helping children with tricky words – English contains a large number of regularly used words that don’t follow a phonetic patters. This words are learnt separately, alongside children’s acquisition of phonic skills.
For videos and resources please use the following link
A pronunciation guide for the phonemes can also be found using the following link:
A guide for helping parents understand why the pure pronunciation of phonics sounds is so important can also be found at:
Below are some links to aspects we will be exploring throughout the year in our Computing lessons.