Welcome to Year 1
Welcome to Year 1. Year 1 is taught by Mrs Bartlett.
Sample Phonic assessments can be found under the Parents page, follow the assessment link.
The five key skills taught through our synthetic phonics programme includes the following:
- Learning the letter sounds – children are taught the 42 main letter sounds. This includes the alphabet sounds as well as digraphs such as sh, th, ai and ue.
- Learning letter formation – using different multi-sensory methods, children learn how to form and write the letters.
- Blending – Children are taught how to blend the sounds together to read and write new words.
- Segmenting – this involves children identifying sounds in words so that they have the best possible start for improving their spelling.
- Helping children with tricky words – English contains a large number of regularly used words that don’t follow a phonetic patters. This words are learnt separately, alongside children’s acquisition of phonic skills.
For videos and resources please use the following link
A pronunciation guide for the phonemes can also be found using the following link:
A guide for helping parents understand why the pure pronunciation of phonics sounds is so important can also be found at:
Below are some links to aspects we will be exploring throughout the year in our Computing lessons.