All staff at Hazlemere Church of England Combined School have completed the government's Prevent training on how to identify radicalisation and extremism. We recognise that we play a vital role in keeping children safe from harm, including from the risks of
extremism and radicalisation, and in promoting the welfare of children in our care.
What does this mean in practice?
Many of the things we already do in school to help children become positive, happy members of society also contribute to the Prevent strategy.
· Exploring other cultures and religions and promoting diversity.
· Challenging prejudices and racist comments
· Developing critical thinking skills and a strong, positive self -identity.
· Promoting the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of pupils, as well as British values such as democracy
How does Prevent relate to British values?
Schools have been required to promote British values since 2014, and this will continue to be part of our response to the Prevent strategy.
British values include:
· The rule of law
· Individual liberty and mutual respect
· Tolerance of different faiths and beliefs.